I hope it is not too late to wish you a very happy New 2013!
I had been quite busy with my work during 2012, though working from home mostly, it really eaten up times, on top of that, I had been travelling for projects often too.
I have been craving for desserts or something sweet lately, with a few almost overiping persimmons in the fridge, I alter the recipe of up side down pineapple cake to this :)
I gotta the original recipe from here.
45g salted butter
120g brown sugar
2 persimmons, thickly sliced
some dried cranberries
120g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
- for fruit layer: melt salted butter in cake pan, add brown sugar and cook til sugar is metled and begins to bubble. Remove from heat and let cool. Once cool, arrange sliced persimmon and add cranberries to add more taste. Set aside
- Whisk butter and sugar until fluffy, add vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, until smooth
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt
- Stir in 1/3 portion of dry ingredients, then 1/2 portion of milk into batter, fold well, then continue with same portion of dry ingredient and milk until the flour is just incorporated into the batter
- Pour batter over fruit, bake for 45 minutes at 180C in preheated oven
- Remove from oven, let cool about 20 minutes, then place a plate on top, flip the cake out from the tin, becareful of the spilling hot caramel :)
- Best serve while warm
You may find the caramel a bit too dark on the cake, no, I didn't burn it, as I used the Gula Merah 冰花糖 instead of brown sugar :p
Also, since I reduced the sugar in the cake (compare with original recipe), the caramel helped enhance the flavor of the cake very much, love the buttery flavor too!